Picture books on Identity

All Because You Matter – Brown Sugar & Spice Books   

      I chose to read and reflect and create instructional ideas in the book All Because You Matter by Tami Charles. This children's picture book is a heart-lifting letter to Black and brown children everywhere reminding them how much they matter, that they have always mattered, and they always will. The story makes everyone feel like they are connected. The first page of the book is a quote that I love and I feel is important for students to hear “They say that matter is all things that make up the universe: energy, stars, space…If that's the case, then you, dear child, matter” 

The 2 instructional ideas to use with this book could be Social-Emotional Learning, having students write a short story about why they matter. Then they can share their stories with their peers. Another idea is to have students learn about affirmations which can become a daily thing, which I believe is important.  I will attach an affirmation list I love below!


  This book definitely invites students to express pride, confidence, and healthy self-esteem without denying the value and dignity of other people. One line says “Did you know that you were born from queens, chiefs, legends'' I love this line because it addresses different backgrounds and that everyone came from somewhere. It is a very positive way to address social identities. This book also addresses that we have always been around, even if it was not physically it was in the memories of our ancestors. 


I thought that this was a very sweet picture book that is easy to understand and to use in multiple different identity activities.      



50 Positive Affirmations for Kids - Centervention®

Comments

  1. Hi Abbey,
    I have yet to read this book but now I really want to read it since the poem you put is so sweet and makes me feel like I matter. I can only imagine what this book would make students feel, especially if they are having a terrible day. I love the idea of using affirmations in the classroom and the post is really warm to read and look at. Affirmations in the classroom and having students look at them every day can encourage students to achieve their goals. I also like the idea of after the reading of the book have students write a short narrative on how they matter and having the option to share with their classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Abbey!
    I absolutely love the quote that the author put on the first page. I feel like students that don't feel like they belong or feel like outcast would gain a lot from that one simple quote. I like the short story idea! I know many students don't think they matter and once they truly think about it and write it out they can see all the ways that they do matter. I think that this could be useful in many different grade levels, which is amazing! This book sounds amazing to help students regain the confidence that they either lost or never had. After reading everything this book said, I will definitely have to get it for my future classroom. I love the affirmation list that you put! I have seen many teachers have a mirror with positive affirmations, so that students can look at themselves while reading these positive things. Is this something you are thinking about doing in your classroom? I know I like it!
    I enjoyed reading your post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abbey! I really enjoyed reading your blog; it was very well thought out and said! I haven't read this book but it seems like a very good one to read! I think children need to know that they matter in this world, and the affirmations just feel so wholesome, to have within the classroom. I also love the short story idea that you suggested. I feel like it allows children to truly express what they feel on the inside. One question I do have is, what would you do if a student doesn't want to share their short story? Thank you for your amazing blog, it felt very heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abbey! First off I really loved reading your blog! Really great choice for a book, I will definitely be adding it to my future library! I really like that you pointed out the quote that's at the beginning of the book, it really opens up the idea to the book, that children matter. I also like your ideas, especially affirmations, because it's important for students to build that self-confidence/self-esteem, I too want to do affirmations with my students in the future. For the student activity where students write a short story for why they matter, would you provide sentence stems or an example for students that might need a little help? Overall, I really loved reading your Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Abbey! I loved the quote from the book! I have never heard that quote before but it has quickly become a favorite! The book sounds very encouraging and inclusive for all students. I think there are so many lessons you can use that would go perfectly with the book. This book can also be used throughout the school year simply as an affirmation for students. I love the idea of helping children feel confident and supported in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! So first of all, I love the affirmations. That is so cute! And I think would be great for students to recite day after day. I'm for sure going to read this and maybe get it for the classroom. It seems so sweet and like it could really make an impact on a student and their identity. I think this all can really help encourage students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Plan Reflection

Race and Literacy Teaching Activities - I Am Enough