Lesson Plan Reflection


How to Overcome Stereotypes in Your Organization | HBS Online

The lesson plan I chose to read about was Using Picture Books to Explore Identity, Stereotyping, and Discrimination. Students by the end of this lesson should be able to define, explain, and explore the concepts of identity, stereotypes, and discrimination. To start off day 1, students will have to define these terms based on prior knowledge. I love that this website links handouts and homework. A few sessions later, after reading the book, students will have to define the terms again with their new knowledge. I also enjoy that it is 8 sessions and uses multiple different books because each book gives different points of view and some students might be able to connect more/understand one than the other. On the last day, students are given a Comparative Analysis sheet which makes students compare and analyze the stories more in-depth. The very last thing asked of the students which I like is ask students to underline actions on their Comparative Analysis that they will try to do this month, this way students can think back to the lesson throughout the month. I really enjoyed the layout of this website, even at the bottom of the Instructional Plan there is a section called Student Assessment/Reflections which tells you what should be done and what students should be able to explain by a specific secession. The only thing I would maybe add is asking the student to try and find a book that they could use to explore identity, stereotyping, and discrimination, then have them explain why they chose that specific book. Overall I think this is a very good lesson plan that helps students reflect on and challenge stereotypes and it addresses the objectives stated in the plan


 Using picture books to explore identity, stereotyping, and discrimination.


Comments

  1. Hi Abbey!
    I definitely agree that one of this lesson's strong suits is that it utilizes 8 sessions in order to ensure students are able to define, explain, and explore the concepts of identity, stereotypes, and discrimination fully. I also think that the Comparative Analysis worksheet is a super valuable tool for students to be able to deeper analyze the various texts they are reading! I love that you added an aspect which allows students to explore the topic deeper find materials they may relate to on a more personal level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbey! I enjoyed reading your response, especially since I did not choose this lesson for my own post! I got to read about both now! I really liked the initial activity of this lesson which was to define the terms based on background knowledge. This is a great way to utilize what you have learned in the past to help develop new understandings. I also appreciated the idea of creating new definitions based on what you recently learned! Being able to use multiple different books and stretch this lesson out over a period of time will help students develop a deeper understanding for the importance of culture and diversity in the classroom. I think your addition to the lesson would be a great way to help personalize the lesson a bit more for each individual student. If you were going to adapt this lesson in your classroom, what books would you select for your students to choose from and why? I am definitely going to incorporate this lesson with my students after reading your post! Thank you for your great response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abbey!
    This is the lesson plan that I also chose to evaluate. I completely agree that it was great that they linked all of the handouts and resources, so that us as teachers don't have to go online and search for it. I like how this lesson made students redefine these words, so that the teacher can see if and what the students learned. I agree that it is great that this lesson encourages students to reflect back to it throughout the month. I know that when I was in school some of my teachers would reflect back on a previous lesson for us to remember and then tie it in to the lesson we were currently learning. I love how you wanted to include students to find their own book that incorporated identity, stereotyping, and discrimination. This would really help see what they learned and allow them to implement all of the information from the sessions of learning. I loved getting to read your response! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abbey! I really enjoyed learning more about this lesson plan, as it wasn't the one i decided to reflect on. I love the fact that the lesson is split up into 8 different sessions. It really allows for students to fully grasp the lesson and gives more time to dive deeper into the subject. I really enjoy your idea of having the students find their own books on identity. This is a great idea for the students to be able to dive deeper into learning more about their own identity or their peers. I also think it is beneficial for the teacher as it allows for us to see what our students our interested in learning more about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abbey! I didn't do this lesson plan, I did the other one so it was interesting to read your post about it! I honestly love that it's broken up into 8 different sessions because this allows students to grasp the material. A lot of students don't fully get the true meaning of identity, stereotyping, or discrimination, because it's only really taught through the surface level. I think this is something that needs to be more enforced into the classroom, with several different sessions. I also really loved how you added that you wanted your students to find their own book to see if they understood the true meanings, and I think this is wonderful for students, so they can grasp the idea as a whole. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture books on Identity

Race and Literacy Teaching Activities - I Am Enough