Do I Have The Full Picture?

Do I have the full picture? No, I don't think I do but I work every day to try and find pieces of it. I don't think anyone can truly ever have the full picture but is up to us to try and find at least some of it. When I was younger I was in a pretty diverse school but was never directly best friends with someone who was another ethnicity/race than me. Luckily I have never really been around extreme racism of any kind, especially not like Autumn Roberson-Manahan. The sad thing is that people of color are normally deemed as not honest, and abusing the system, they just have a bad image in our society. Why? Is it because in school we are never really told the bad part of history that involved White Males. Is it because the news focuses on people of color who mess up? I think all of it plays a big part. It also makes me sad because it does not and should not matter your race/ethnicity, you are your own person.

Across the Lines: Abolishing Racism with Education | Alliance for  Self-Directed Education

The majority of the time, white students go to school and feel like it is a place they can ask questions and make mistakes, whereas a student of color views it as somewhere they have to follow orders or there will be consequences. We as educators need to challenge these prejudices.  As a future teacher, I could never imagine reacting/handling a situation like Autumns' the way that it was handled. It makes me sad that all students are not given the same opportunities, and also that we don't focus enough on non-white people in history. I know that I do not have the full picture, and I also don't think I will ever have it but as long as I am willing to look for it and be open then I think that is a start!


Comments

  1. Hello Abbey! I enjoyed reading your post for this weeks discussion topic. I also really liked how you started by stating the question, "do I have the full picture" and answering it for yourself. That was not something I have seen outright in the others blogs. I also like your image you included :). I totally agree that as a future educator, the thought of handling a situation the way Autumn's was handled is appalling, and I really believe that the future teachers can help to change the environment for students of color in schools. Everyone should have the right to learn in a safe and welcoming environment, and the color or someones skin, or their background should have absolutely no effect on the way they are treated in life, but especially by teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and also responding to my blog! There is so much we future educators need to be aware of. Reading most other blogs and comments it has been reassuring to know that we all feel the same about the way Autumn's situation was handled, that is a step in the right direction in my opinion. It's up to us to make sure every child has the same opportunities and can feel comfortable in school and in our classroom.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture books on Identity

Lesson Plan Reflection

Race and Literacy Teaching Activities - I Am Enough