Why Teach?

Hi, my name is Abbey Mullen, this is my first year at Texas State and I will be graduating in 2 years. I have always wanted to be a teacher. Even from a very young age. My 2nd Grade teacher Mrs.Bryant was where it was sparked. She just had such a loving environment and I realized I wanted to do that for kids, I wanted to be her. One very vivid memory I have of her is one day I walked into class and there was a warm-up on the board, the question was what is a dozen and draw a dozen. I had been in the class but could not remember at all so I went up to her little table and stood next to her while she talked me through it and helped me draw, to this day I will always remember what a dozen is because of how kind she was and how easy it was for her to help me and for me to learn. I used to make my mum take me to the Dollar Tree so I could buy worksheets and classroom things, I set up my own classroom in our playroom and my 2 little sisters were my students. Nothing serious but I just loved it. When I was in high school my youngest sister was diagnosed with Dyslexia. I spent a lot of time sitting with her and working with her. I realized that I have a lot of patience and that I enjoyed helping people learn. I always loved going to school. Not just for the learning aspect but I have always been a people person, I need to be around people and talking and making friends so school was perfect for that. 

I always thought I only wanted to teach 2nd Grade because that is what Mrs.Bryant taught, but I have started tutoring 3 kindergartners and 1 first grader and I have grown to love it. I just love watching kids absorb what I am telling them and see them using it and growing from it. I don't think I would ever be able to work with high school students but I'm very open to all elementary ages. I just think that K-2 is an age group that has minds that are just so moldable and they just want to grasp so much and I think that is so fascinating. 

One TikTok teacher I love to watch is @ms.cadime. She is so sweet and pure and I love listening to the way she talks to her kids, and I love her outfits!


Pin on Raymond Leung love
 


Thank you for reading, have a beautiful day!

Abbey Mullen







Comments

  1. Hi and welcome to you, Abbey. Your interest in the early grades and expanding to the 3rd grade shows that you simply enjoy teaching, I think. Each grade has its own wonderful aspects, don't you agree? Watching children learn fascinates me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes i just love watching growth and im so happy I am able to be exposed to more grades before I go into student teaching! Its so true, every grade has so many different aspects and every kid is so different!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Picture books on Identity

Lesson Plan Reflection

Race and Literacy Teaching Activities - I Am Enough